A-Weigh We Go

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

Monday, August 12, 2013

I Can Pray

CME and I were at Walmart this past weekend when we were approached by the mom of a friend of our oldest son.  I don't know her exact words, but it went something like this... "I need you to do me a big favor.  I need you to pray for my husband.  He's in the hospital in <city 90 miles away> and isn't doing well."

He had gastric bypass in that city about a week or so ago.  He was sent home, but had a leak, became septic and had a hematoma on his liver.  His kidneys were even beginning to shut down.  She was needing to finish some last minute purchases before school started this morning and then was leaving the kids with friends and heading back to the hospital.  I'm not sure that she knew I had RNY...though I'm guessing she did.  But that's not why she approached us.  She wanted...needed...prayer.  So I prayed with her...right there in the kitchen gadget aisle.  I prayed for complete healing for her husband and for peace for her and her children as they navigate this time. Our son asked the friend today how her dad was doing; she said he seems to be better.  Praise God!  Though I know that prayers are still needed.

I don't really know how to describe how hearing her husband's story made me feel.  Grateful?  Yes.  Saddened?  Yes.  Guilty that God has blessed me and my surgery?  Yes.  Confused as to why others (those who have a personal relationship with Jesus like I do and those who don't) have complications?  Of course.  I am reminded that this family will not have the same experience that I have had.  I am reminded that gastric bypass surgery is not the "easy way" out.  I am reminded  that the gift He has given me is not to be taken for granted.

What I do know is that this family needs prayer.  There's not a lot I can do in this situation, but I can pray.  I am thankful that she felt compelled to ask us.  I am grateful that God has given me the courage to pray in the middle of a public place - not caring what the world may think about that.  But most of all, I am so humbled that we have a Creator that loves us and hears our prayers...always.

So...how can I pray for you?

________________________________________________
"I praise you [God] because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well." ~Psalm 139:14

No comments:

Post a Comment