A-Weigh We Go

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

Monday, July 23, 2012

Home Again, Home Again, Jiggity Jig

As much as I love where I was last week, it's always good to be home.  CME left me a sweet message on my last blog entry (you should read it if you haven't) letting me know that the changes I'm making really do influence the whole family.  That's one of the goals of this journey for me...to get our entire family healthy and for our family to make good, healthy choices.


Things I realized during my trip (in no particular order):

  • It's hard to stay on a schedule when your schedule is not your own.
  • I can still enjoy [ethnic] foods without the "I'm so stuffed" after effect!  Over the week, I was able to sample Lebanese, Chinese/Japanese, Italian, Mexican and Yemeni foods.  I didn't always have my measuring cups with me, but when I did it sure was easier to know how much to eat!  I think that I have a tendency to under-eat if I don't completely measure it out.
  • I can have an iced caffe Americano with one half and half and 2 sweet n low and not have any side effects.
  • My body shuts down on its own when it needs sleep - time of day does not matter.
  • I can celebrate non-scale victories (NSV) like being on the go from 6am - midnight without having to sit down because my back or my knees or my ankles hurting.  
  • I have a wonderful support team at bariatric center.  I called one afternoon to verify if the gift of baklava I was given would cause me problems.  (I knew it would, but secretly was hoping otherwise.)  RD called me back and confirmed my suspicion.  Bummer on the baklava.  YAY for a great RD who doesn't mind silly phone calls!
  • I have a GREAT support team of friends who were constantly reminding me to drink my water.
  • Waking up with leg cramps 3 of the six nights is no fun.
  • Not seeing some friends since I started on this journey was kind of fun!  Their reactions to the weight loss so far was sometimes embarrassing because I still don't really see it in my brain, but for the most part it was a good mood booster!
  • I can't eat a protein bar for breakfast.
  • They really do make sugar free baklava, but it's more expensive and a small bite is not worth the cost or the worry.
  • I can fix a fruit protein smoothie and enjoy it when others are eating their ice cream sundaes.
  • The trip was good for me weight loss wise... 7.5 pounds in one week.  I wonder if my body was celebrating the new foods!  LoL  (67.6# since January - 42.6# since surgery)
  • I have a great set of friends in another state!
  • I have an amazing band of prayer warriors that not only were praying for me during this trip, but that lift me in prayers on a daily basis as I continue down this path.  I thank God for them (you) every day!!!
So yes, I'm back home and am in the process of getting back into a routine.  Next up is to increase the exercise (which I've been lacking, to be honest).  I'm looking at a couple other 5K races soon...just wish they weren't so darn expensive!  Regardless, there are other things I will begin this week to get a routine for exercise going.  Please pray for me in that regard - I've NEVER liked exercise and just because I'm losing weight doesn't mean my mindset has changed regarding it (yet).  I just know that it is necessary for my (our family) long-term success and health!
________________________________________________
"I praise you [God] because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well." ~Psalm 139:14

No comments:

Post a Comment