A-Weigh We Go

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

Thursday, July 5, 2012

Eight Weeks Post-Op

Yesterday (7/4/12) I was officially 8-weeks post-op.  I’ve still avoided the scale so I don’t know the total weight loss.  (I *may* weigh on Saturday…)  But here’s what I do know...

My husband’s aunt gave me two bags full of clothes.  Over the past several years, she’s under grown them.  (Way to go, Debbie!)  I didn’t look at the clothes until I got home from visiting the family in MI.  And I’ll be honest, I thought the stuff was nice, but I was a bit disheartened looking at the sizes.  XL tops and 18 (or 16) pants.  I seriously couldn’t remember when I last fit into those sizes.  Regardless, by CME’s prompting, I tried on the clothes.  Guess what!  MOST of it fit!  Maybe a little snug, but I could get them on!  I know not all size 18s (or 20s or 10s or XLs) are created equal – but I can wear the XL tops the 18 pants!  HUGE difference in the 24/26 (or 28s at my largest) that I was wearing just 6 months ago!  I’m excited…can you tell?  Who needs a scale right now?  

Then yesterday, our July 4th started rather early.  By 7:00am my boys, oldest daughter, g-baby and I were at the starting line for the Big Bang 5K.  Yes, two 5K events in 2 weeks!  My main goal for this one was to beat my time from my first 5K on 6/23.  Though I don’t have the official results yet, I know that I shaved somewhere around 4 minutes off my first race time!  It may not seem like much, but for me, it’s huge!

But what’s even more important to me is that my kids did this too!  My daughter, who is just 6 weeks out from a c-section, braved the ridiculous heat and humidity to walk this with me.  With my g-baby in tow she hit the course with the intention of finishing and doing the best she could do.  That’s exactly what she did!  I’m pretty sure that g-baby was the youngest participant…I think she should have gotten some award for that!

My boys… oh how they made my day!  One thing that I want to instill in them is how important it is to get healthy and make good healthy choices.  They’ve had a really busy summer already – everything from Boy Scout camp to church camp and then on a mission trip.  They have been physically active all summer!  So adding a 5K to their schedule didn’t seem to bother them in the least.  My oldest wound up in 8th place for the male walkers without even really exerting himself.  My youngest was a sweetheart and stayed back with me and my daughter.  He was great at making sure to bring me my water (which g-baby was safely guarding in her ride) when I needed it or helping his sister with the stroller on the grassy hills and gravel areas.  No, he didn’t place nor did he have a great finish time.  But what I explained to all of them is that starting the race is a victory over sitting at home.  Walking slowly is a victory over not walking at all.  Finishing the race is a victory over quitting.
I am so proud of my kiddos!!! 








As I reflect back on the past 8 weeks, one thing keeps coming to my mind: gratitude.  It’s the gratitude I have for those who have been my encouragement…those who have listened to me whine and complain about not losing weight fast enough…those who have shared advice and wisdom with me.  And of course there is the gratitude I have to my Creator.  To the One who has given me the strength and courage to face this battle head-on.  To the One who reminds me that no matter what lies the world has told me in the past that I am fearfully and wonderfully made! 

________________________________________________
"I praise you [God] because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well." ~Psalm 139:14

No comments:

Post a Comment