A-Weigh We Go

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

Wednesday, November 21, 2012

It's All About NSVs

Once again, I've gotten behind on my blogging.  But there have been good reasons and lots of good things that have been happening.

Last Thursday through Sunday, several of my friends and I were able to participate in the International Conference on Missions (ICOM) in Indianapolis.  The sheer magnitude of it all was overwhelming, but the conference was beyond amazing.  I wish I could put into words how the conference impacted (and convicted) me, but I just can't.  So, let me tell you some of the NSVs I experienced.

The first NSV that happened was when we arrived.  I was helping set up an exhibit that required sitting on the floor...for a while.  As I was attaching pictures to the board, I realized that I could sit on concrete without having my legs fall asleep from the extra weight.  I realized that I was leaning over and wasn't uncomfortable.  I realized that I was moving from sitting to standing without issue.  Yes, that was an NSV!

The second NSV was brought to my attention as my friend Lori and I walked from the convention center to Circle Center Mall to pick up some dinner Thursday night.  I don't recall exactly how she stated it, but it went something like "You couldn't walk this fast before."  She was right!  Before, I would have been slow moving and probably hurting by the time I had walked that much.  According to Google Earth, it was approximately a 1/2 mile walk one way.  On Friday afternoon, two of my other friends and I made the trek again - intentionally speed walking to try to beat the crowd.  (Did I tell you there were probably near 12,000 people there!?!)  Between being able to speed walk (without good walking shoes even!) and years of watching CME be a "minnow" to get through crowds, we were able to walk up to Chick-fil-A and place our orders before there was a line!  Walking quickly and without pain - yes, that's an NSV!

My next NSV was when I realized that I was the "runner" - not the same thing as walking fast.  I was the one who was going to get things... running here and there to refill water bottles, make extra copies for the booth, etc.  Me!  I was the runner!  I was so excited about this NSV that I even mentioned it in my support group last night!  I could finally do something that made me feel like I was productive...that I was helping.  I was the runner and I wasn't in pain from all the extra walking.  Yes, that's an NSV!

My sweet friend, Macie, had foot surgery 3 weeks before the conference.  She was on her handy-dandy knee scooter to help her get around.  So much better than crutches, but I can't imagine how tiring it had to have been for her.  During Friday morning's main session, I needed to sneak out for a potty break.  After being in the restroom for a moment, I heard Macie say, "Deedra?  I was trying to catch you but you were walking too fast!"  On the concrete floor she can zip that scooter around pretty quickly.  But not realizing she was trying to catch me...I zipped out the door just a little faster than she did!  Walking faster than a scooter - yes, that's an NSV!

Another NSV came for me when we went to dinner at PF Chang's.  Eleven of us seated at a large semi-circle booth.  I didn't automatically go for the chairs, but instead was able to scoot in the booth without worrying about if my stomach would rub against the table or if I could actually "scoot" around.  Not worrying about such things - yes, that's an NSV!

On Saturday, Macie and I entered the exhibit hall where we ran into some other ladies from our church.  E and I have served together on a mission trip.  We've gone through training together.  We know each other.  As E is talking to Macie, she keeps glancing at me.  Several minutes after we all began talking she gasped as she looked at me and said, "Oh my gosh!  I have not seen you for a long time and I have definitely not seen you in THIS body!" Not being recognized - yes, that's an NSV!

I wore those size 12 jeans...all day...comfortably!  Yes, that's an NSV!

I'm sure there are more that I've forgotten already, but the impact of the conference itself coupled by the ton of NSVs made those 4 days incredible!  I'm still trying to unpack all I learned last weekend, but I am marveling at how God is continuing to work in my life.  I'm finally beginning to feel like I'm physically the person He created me to be.  That, my friends, is the biggest NSV of them all!

Sistahs!  (And some of my very best friends!)

Macie needing a little push.

Dinner at PF Chang's.  I love these people!!!
 ________________________________________________
"I praise you [God] because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well." ~Psalm 139:14

No comments:

Post a Comment