A-Weigh We Go

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

Saturday, December 8, 2012

Jingle All The Way

Thanks to the Arthritis Foundation adding bells to our goody bags, we jingled all the way to the finish line of this 5k!  There were jingles all over the place!  Jingles and presents and Santa hats and Elves...even Buddy the Elf...and Rudolph and Santa...oh and Santa and Mrs. Claus...and lots and lots of red white and green!  My son who ran with me even commented that this was a fun 5k!  Kudos to the Arthritis Foundation and the people of Evansville making this event a success.  

My son told me, "You better win!"  I looked at him and said, "Have I ever told you that you better win?"  He smiled and he said, "In my book...finishing is winning."  And he's right!  We are winners!!!  He then told me... see you at the finish line!  He did great for his first 5k run.  His final time was 37 minutes 40 seconds; 396 out of over 465 runners.  (I forget the total number of runners!)  He was 14 out of 16 in his age group.  Seriously, this is a HUGE accomplishment for him and I am sooo proud!  And yes, I ran.  I ran the best I could... interval running, basically, but running nevertheless.  I finished in 43 minutes 6 seconds and 435th out of all the runners.  I wasn't even the last in my age group!  This is 12-15 minutes ahead of my best time walking.  WooHoo!  I still can't say I enjoyed the running part, but I know that it meant a lot to my son.  He even mentioned how he didn't like running cross country, but did it anyway.  That is the exact reason I KNEW I needed to run with him.  I am an example for him...I can't tell him to do one thing and then I do something different. 

Other thoughts as I was running... this particular race is for the Arthritis Foundation.  There are a ton of people who would love to be out running, but because of a crippling disease, they can't.  I am blessed and I should not complain about running.  Then, there were these two people that I couldn't help but be inspired by.  The guy would run to a "marker" and stop and wait...cheering on the girl as she'd run to that spot.  They'd then walk a bit and he'd do it again.  Talk about inspiring!  He was her motivation...and mine!  THAT was awesome support!!!  And speaking of support, CME and our oldest came down to cheer us on...taking pictures along the way.  It's good to see smiling faces and to hear your family cheer you on as you run for the finish line.  I am so incredibly blessed!  

Here's a glance of our morning... <insert jingle bells sounds as you scroll through!>


Some style in Evansville... yes!

Sheriff Hum-V blocking traffic

I wonder if Santa asked him if he'd been good!

The best part of this costume...the harness with jingle bells.

This granny elf left us in her dust!  Way to go!!!


The crowd in front of me...


The crowd behind me.

The Grinch made several appearances too!
The smile means it was the start of the race.
That's my boy!
Run!!!

Sprinting to the finish line.

The finish line is in sight!

Almost there!

We did it!

Jingles...all the way.

Smiling because it's over!


My extra jingles.

Love that he ran with me!

Checking his time...

Checking my time.

T-shirts!  And love his smile!

What a team!

Jingle Bell Run!
________________________________________________
"I praise you [God] because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well." ~Psalm 139:14

1 comment:

  1. Such a fun event. I wish I hadn't battled the flu all week so I could've finished it. Definitely be grateful you have the support! It's what has defeated me, but that's another blog ;)

    So proud of you!

    ReplyDelete