A-Weigh We Go

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

Sunday, June 30, 2013

"You're so skinny!"

So I just got back from a week of visiting friends in Michigan where I helped teach English to non-English speaking ladies.  Some of the ladies I've known for several years.  In their limited English, I heard many times "You're so skinny!!!!"  One of these ladies is a dear friend of mine and she even pulled some cookies out of her purse and said, "You must eat!"  She went on to say, that I was skinny and she was fat.  I took her face in my hands, looked her in the eyes and told her that she is beautiful!  It took several times for me to say it before she finally said thank you instead of disagreeing withe me.  I wish she could see herself as God sees her!  I'm praying for that!

I must admit, it was really fun to see the shock on their faces, or the "Whyyyyyyyyyy????"  (which I interpreted as "how")  Every time I'd remind them that I was healthy and it was because of God helping me that I could lose the weight.  As part of one of their end of the year celebration, all the students brought in food to share.  My dear friend told me to eat a lot of the aseed.  Her teenage daughter told me it was because she wanted me to get big again. She makes me laugh!!

The point of this entry is that I'm still uneasy being called skinny.  I am still critical of the flaws.  I look at pictures and my eyes immediately move to my problem areas.  On the flip side, for those who don't see me often, I suppose I do look "so skinny" to them.  Regardless, I hope I could inspire these ladies to seek God for their problems - regardless of their problem.  He is the source of my strength and the reason I am able to do what I do!
________________________________________________
"I praise you [God] because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well." ~Psalm 139:14

No comments:

Post a Comment