A-Weigh We Go

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

Friday, December 6, 2013

Survival Mode

Survival is a really strong word, but when you're on this journey, it truly feels like were in survival mode some days.

Thanksgiving...CHRISTmas...all the office carry-ins.  It really can be a struggle if you're not prepared.  Take for instance our office carry-in on Tuesday.  There are nine of us in our area.  When the sign-up sheet got posted, I watched as people were signing up for what they were bringing.  Our boss was going to treat us all to pizza for lunch.  I knew without a doubt...that if I didn't plan, I would fall prey to trying little bits of this or that.  So what did I bring?  A veggie tray.  Seems like a no-brainer, right?  But really I had to plan, and that's okay.  Everything else was so unhealthy!  Our "banquet" choices:  Veggies with a ranch dip; donuts, bagels and cream cheese, potato chips with dips, cheeseball and crackers, a "dessert platter" that was filled with: cannoli, cheesecake, petite cakes, chocolate covered strawberries, coconut macaroons, raspberry filled cake, flans, three different types of fudge... yeah, sugar coma waiting to happen! (Or dumping syndrome for someone like me!)

So what did I eat on Tuesday?  Breakfast - part of an English muffin there at home.  Snack (at my scheduled snack time so not to "graze" all day) - veggies with a spoonful of the ranch dip that came with it.  Lunch - 4 squares of sausage/pepperoni pizza (well, the toppings off of it.  I still don't eat the crust) with carrots and grape tomatoes.  I did have one coconut macaroon from the "sweets" tray.  And honestly, I planned it when I saw the selection.  I didn't just walk by and grab it.  That's something different for me.  My afternoon snack - grape tomatoes and carrots.  I did eye another macaroon, but chose not to have it. (does that count as an NSV??)

The thing is this:  Gastric Bypass Surgery has been a GREAT tool for me and a blessing for my life.  Every single day I must make good choices.  I must plan in advance.  I must modify recipes to make them healthier.  And yes, I must walk away at times.  All of that is key to long-term success.  That's part of the survival - choices to enhance LONG TERM success.


(Here's another Sesame Street reference for you all!)



One of these things is not like the others,
One of these things just doesn't belong,
Can you tell which thing is not like the others
By the time I finish my song?






This is the "evil" one for sure!!!!!
________________________________________________
"I praise you [God] because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well." ~Psalm 139:14

1 comment:

  1. NSV? Honey, I'd be hanging out the victory flag!

    Well done you (and an even bigger gold star for demonstrating 'good' choices are do-able for your colleagues).

    ReplyDelete