A-Weigh We Go

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Six Weeks, a 5K and a Life Boat

Six Weeks
Went to my 6-week appointment with MD today.  Official weight loss (though the Wii still weighs me less) is 26.8# since surgery and 51.8# since January.  Blood pressure was more normal today (thinking it's due to the increase in fluids and slight increase in activity.)  Either way, it was 106/70.  I'll take it!


MD seemed satisfied that I'm still "right on target" for where I need to be.  He gave me no lectures or harsh words but basically said to keep doing what I'm doing and gradually add more exercise.  Got it.  I did tell him about my moment of stupidity from last night and he kind of smiled and said, "Well, I guess it's good to experience that once.  I bet you won't do that again!"  He's right!


Had some good conversation with RD.  I like her a lot.  We talked about adding some variety to my food intake now.  Because I'm power-packing my protein shakes, it frees up room for different things later - fruits, veggies, etc.   I asked if I should be watching calories too and her answer was no.  "I don't want this to resemble a diet at all.  Due to the restriction (portion size) the calories are going to be fine right now.  If you're eating high protein, low fat, low sugar foods, no need to look at calories at this stage...maybe a year from now, but not at this time."  I'm good with that...I was just wondering since the calories seem to vary even on my protein powders.


I go back in 6 more weeks (3 months post-op) and am hoping to do as well these next six weeks as I have so far!  (Hey! I didn't even complain about slow weight loss this time!)


5K
I've got this friend....this friend who only God could orchestrate how our paths crossed and how we have become friends.  Anyway... she texts me the other night and long story short, we are going to walk in a 5K this Saturday!  I know it's only about 3 miles...but still!  I'm walking in a 5K!  MD reminded me today to make sure I sip water all through the walk because I can't "gulp" like others can.  He said if I wait until the end, I will be dehydrated.  Regardless, I'm stoked that I'm walking my first 5K!  I don't really care if I'm the last to cross the finish line (I'll try not to be, M!)... I'm excited that she asked me and that I am doing this!  Never would I have thought to do it this time last year...or the year before...or the year before that...  Thanks M!  I'm so glad you are in my life!!!



Life Boat
As I've mentioned before, I visit a forum for others who have had gastric bypass, gastric sleeve or lap band.  I ran across this analogy the other night and had to share it.  It really made sense to me...
"Being overweight is like being stranded in the ocean and the shore is being healthy.  This surgery is a life boat.  Even with a life boat, you still need to work at getting to the shore, but you have a great tool.  Without the life boat, the struggle is much more difficult."
So God has given me this life boat.  It is a tool to help me, but I still have to paddle to get to the shore!  I'm paddling!! I'm paddling!!!



________________________________________________
"I praise you [God] because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well." ~Psalm 139:14

No comments:

Post a Comment