A-Weigh We Go

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

Sunday, June 24, 2012

We Did It!


We did it!  The 5K went down without incident!  I had to get past my head to remember that this time 6 months ago I wouldn't have even thought about signing up for a 5K, so I shouldn't be so concerned about how "fast" (a term used VERY loosely here!) I was walking.  I did what I could do and I finished! I don't know our official time, but I know it was around one hour.  


My only "mistake" was that I drank all my water before the race started because I thought I was smarter than MD.  Figured if I'd drink it up front then I'd be well hydrated throughout.  Although I don't know the exact temp when we were walking, it was well in the mid-80s.  By mile one I was really hoping for a water station on the path.  But there wasn't one until about mile 2 ... and then again at mile 2.5 or so.  So I took some water at both stations and kept walking!  I wasn't dehydrated by the end, but know that next time (yes, there will be a next time...planning a July 4 walk!) I'll listen.  Why am I so stubborn some times??  :)  Bonus:  M and I had some great conversations as well!  Oh...and I got a t-shirt!  


Then there was Mary.  M and I had noticed Mary in the walk.  M mentioned that she wants to be like Mary when she grows up - still active and still out walking 5Ks.  We cheered Mary on as she crossed the finish line.  M told her about our earlier conversation and Mary said something to the effect that she'll be 80 in August and she walks every day.  How amazing is that?  By golly if an almost-80 year old woman can walk these 5Ks, then there is no reason I can't!


So what do I need to do before the next one?  Walk more to get prepared.  Get better walking shoes.  Walk more.  Walk more.  Walk more.  (see a pattern here?)


I'm so thankful for my friend!  For her desire to be healthy and for her prompting me to walk in this 5K.  For her heart.  I'm thankful her friendship and support!!


My official 5K racers bib!

Still smiling at the end of the race.



The front of my awesome t-shirt.

________________________________________________
"I praise you [God] because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well." ~Psalm 139:14

5 comments:

  1. You were in 224th place of 232. Your Chip Time was 1:01:23.6. Says your 35 years old, eh? Must have guessed from how you looked and just rounded up to be safe. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do know that the place number is "relative." That was on the Walk list and your friend M was on the Run list, so that changes things up a bit. But, the times are accurate I suspect. M's chip time was 1:01:23.1 and was 504 of 505 on the Run list. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's because she's an awesome friend and walked with me instead of running.

      Delete