A-Weigh We Go

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

Thursday, February 23, 2012

Game On!

I must say that the staff at bariatric center is pretty amazing.  As I was signing in today, the receptionist asked, "So do you have a job?!"  I told her my story and she said she was really glad to hear that.  I head to the scale room (cuz I don't know what else to call it) and the nurse asked, "do you still have your job?" and again I tell my story.  The MD greets me with, "Hi Deedra, good to see you.  Do you still have a job?"  After I tell my story for the third time, he says, "As soon as we heard it nurse and I wondered if you were still employed."  They both mentioned the fact that they were proud of me for surviving the stressful time with a 3.1# weight loss, making  my total weight loss pre-op at 10.1#.  I know it doesn't seem like much to some people, but to me, it's sizable.  To me, it means my head is back in the game.  Besides the weight loss, I truly feel that the staff knows and cares about me...beyond the visits to the office.  They know my name, my face, my circumstances.  They care enough to ask about things that they know matter to me.  


I also met with the RD today.  I received the "official" binder aka "Education Manual" with all the ins and outs of this process.  RD and I talked about things like ways to season foods but not add the unnecessary fat and calories; she gave me a couple of recipes for salad dressings as well as sharing with me how to make Greek yogurt work as sour cream.  We didn't go into much detail about the post-diet yet.  She wants me to read the manual and make notes so we can discuss it at our next visit.  She believes it is much more beneficial and more readily retained if I actually read it and ask questions rather than her blah blah blahing her way through it.  I appreciate that!  So there's my next brainwork to do...learn more!


I did ask the MD of an approximate time frame for the surgery.  He understood that it wasn't because of impatience that I was asking, but rather it was because of being in limbo at work.  I told him the transition time frame and he assured me that my surgery would be way before June 1!  He even eluded to the fact that if I get to the goal weight set for me by the RD, then at the next visit (3/14) he will proceed to recommend the surgery to my insurance and get it scheduled.  He said that he was expecting (based on how well things are going) the surgery to take place in April!  (I HAVE A PSUEDO-DATE / MONTH!!  I'LL TAKE IT!)  It really does help to know a date. Makes figuring out what/where/when of work schedules much easier too.


So I'll start my reading this weekend - covering each section thoroughly:  Introduction; Medical; Surgical; Nutrition, Coping Techniques, Exercise.  I'm looking forward to diving into this one.  I'm tempted to skip ahead to the "what can I eat?" section, but I'm not going to.  I'm going to read them in the order they're in the manual.  


I did like this section of the Introduction:


Prepare For Your Success
"A Successful Bariatric Surgery Patient..."

  • Views himself or herself as a worthwhile, important person who is battling a disease, not a defect in character.
  • Keeps all scheduled appointments, even when weight loss is complete.
  • Attends monthly support groups and participates enthusiastically in them.
  • Follows the dietary guidelines closely and works with the dietitian to adjust any problem areas.
  • Notifies the nurse of any medical problems that occur after surgery as soon as possible.
  • Keeps an accurate food log for at least six months or longer.
  • Keeps a journal to express the range of emotions that will be. experienced.  (I think blogging *might* count toward this one.)
  • Practices healthy behavioral changes suggested by our counselor.
  • Commits to following an individualized exercise/fitness program.
  • Attends the recommended counseling session in order to cope with all the new changes that are involved.
  • Attends and participates in motivational projects offered by the clinic staff.
  • Refers to the educational materials frequently and seeks additional information in order to learn as much as possible about their surgery  and the changes in lifestyle that are necessary.
  • Recognizes that surgery is only a "tool" and the lifelong commitment is required in order to successfully  keep weight off.


So there you have it.  My head is officially back in the game.  Game on!
________________________________________________
"I praise you [God] because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well." ~Psalm 139:14

No comments:

Post a Comment