A-Weigh We Go

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

Sunday, January 27, 2013

Pinterest Interest

I've recently joined the Pinterest craze.  It's amazing all that you can find there.  The possibilities there are endless!  I've pinned so many things that I begin to wonder if I'll ever go back to them or if I'll really try it...whether it's a new recipe, a craft, or a way to fix my hair.  

Tonight, however, I decided to try a recipe that I pinned.  I like soup anyway and if I can get it with lots of protein, it's a win win.  I found a Creamy Chicken Taco Soup recipe for the crockpot that I almost ignored because it had "creamy" in the title.  However, a little research revealed that the creaminess isn't cream at all; it's a combination of plain Greek yogurt and cannellini (white kidney beans).  Looking at the nutritional value... oh. my. goodness!  PACKED with protein.  Bonus?  It was YUMMY!  

I usually don't post recipes, but I figured I'd share this one anyway.  Looks like the original recipe came from website http://www.muscleandfitnesshers.com.  


This is CME's bowl.  He added a few tortilla chips and a little bit of salsa for some extra kick.

Creamy Chicken Taco Soup
3/4 cup nonfat Greek yogurt
1 15-oz can 50% less sodium white beans, rinsed and drained
1 15-oz can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 4-oz can diced green chills
1 15-oz can diced tomatoes
1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
1 cup frozen or fresh corn
1 1/2 pounds shredded precooked chicken breast (I used rotisserie chicken)
2 tbsp fresh squeezed lime
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 tsp onion powder
1 tbsp fresh oregano, chopped
1/2 tsp smoked paprika
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp cumin
1 tbsp dried cilantro
2 tsp Mrs. Dash Fiesta Lime Seasoning Blend
1) Place 1/2 cup broth and white beans in a blender and puree. Add yogurt and blend again. Pour liquid into slow cooker.
2) Add remaining ingredients and stir well.
3) Cover and cook on high for 2 hours or on low for 4-5 hours.
Note: Be sure to rinse and drain black beans and chicken well before adding to slow cooker.
Nutrition Facts (per serving): Calories 275, Fat 2 g, Saturated fat 1 g, Cholesterol 47 mg, Sodium 401 mg, Carbohydrates 36 g, Dietary Fiber 11 g, Sugars 7 g, Protein 32 g

One other thing I tried off Pinterest this evening is a Chocolate Protein Frozen Yogurt.  I'm still looking at ways to get in all my protein and Greek yogurt is a great source.  My problem is that the zing of the Greek yogurt makes it difficult for me to eat plain.  I saw the recipe from the link above and gave it a try.  I didn't freeze mine before I ate it...so it was more of a mousse consistency.  It was edible, but I could still really taste that zing.  I ate about 1/2 with a banana and have froze the other 1/2 to see if it makes it more palatable for me.
So that's been my Pinterest recipe trials so far.  I'm still not sure how much I'll really cook from there, but it is nice to find some things that are healthy and that my family enjoys!
________________________________________________
"I praise you [God] because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well." ~Psalm 139:14

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for helping us eat healthier, even if the rest of us may still struggle, you are an inspiration and an influence to everyone around you, especially your family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Took me a while to catch on to the advantages of Pinterest, but I must say that I love it. It's a great place for recipes.

    ReplyDelete