A-Weigh We Go

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

Wednesday, March 20, 2013

I Can't Relate but I Can Connect

Last night was support group night at bariatric center.  Each month there's a topic for discussion and last night's topic was "The Five Stages of Mourning."  Although I've read various posts on forums/blogs about mourning the loss of food, I can't actually say that I've experienced those emotions.  To be honest, I had a hard time relating last night.  And when I've read things like, "I'm so sad I can't have [whatever food here]" or "I wish I had never had surgery because I can't have..." I really do not understand.  

Pre-surgery, I do remember thinking that I'd never eat certain foods again.  I specifically remember leaving my informational meeting and going to dinner with CME at Kanpai and having a very emotional evening with thoughts like, "I'll never be able to eat sushi again!"  But at that point, I was still scared and had not turned this over to God.  As many of you know, I still enjoy eating.  I enjoy eating a variety of foods.  I enjoy eating healthy foods and healthy quantities.  Will there be foods I may never eat again?  Possibly, but that will be by choice.  ("I Don't" vs. "I Can't") Regardless, I'm not mourning.

But here's the bonus about a support group.  Even if you can't relate to one of the topics, there are other people in the room who are feeling the same way you are feeling.  See, every journey is different.  You may not be at the same spot as everyone, but there are so many things you have in common with others who have gone through weight loss surgery that there is still a connection.  Maybe not a connection to the topic, but a connection to the people. 

I'm thankful I chose the bariatric center that I did.  I do believe they have a wonderful program and support staff and even though I didn't relate last night, the topic was needed and the materials were good.  I'm positive that at least one person last night benefited from the information and were made to feel as if they weren't alone!
________________________________________________
"I praise you [God] because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well." ~Psalm 139:14

No comments:

Post a Comment