A-Weigh We Go

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

Wednesday, March 27, 2013

God Works Differently in Everyone's Life

I’ve spent the majority of my life being judged; if not by others, then by my own thoughts and perceptions.  I recently read something that made me realize that there is still a huge misconception and judgmental attitude about weight loss surgery.  One of the reasons that I started this blog was to help others overcome some of that mindset.  Has it worked?  Maybe.  Do I think more can be done?  Absolutely.

So let me see if I can put into words what I feel needs to be said. 

First let me address those of us who have had weight loss surgery or are researching the idea.  Kudos! Hold your head high.  More than likely, you have not gone into this without a lot of thought and consideration and hopefully a lot of prayer.  Those outside looking in at WLS patients truly may not understand the circumstances which have led you to this decision or the WLS process involved.  Show them grace - even if it stings to read/hear their opinion!  Focus on you and you journey and be proud that you are taking steps necessary to overcome your food addiction and embrace a healthy lifestyle.  Focus on God and what He has in store for your life.  Follow the plans – both your bariatric center’s plan and God’s plan.  Make this journey a healthy journey.  Grow deeper emotionally to be able to make the changes that are necessary for long term success.  You deserve it!

On to those who have lost weight without having weight loss surgery (or have never struggled with your weight to begin with)… Kudos!  Congratulations on your success!  I honestly celebrate your success with you!  Here’s where this may get a little close to stepping on toes, but I hope you’ll hear me out on this topic.  Your journey is your journey.  Please do not assume that people who have chosen to have weight loss surgery have found a gimmick or easy way out or that we can’t enjoy the same personal satisfaction or joy because we chose to have surgery.  Joy comes from the Lord – not through weight loss, regardless of how each of us loses the extra pounds!  Please educate yourself before you make assumptions.  There is nothing easy about weight loss surgery.  It is a tool that some decide to use to get healthy.  Please do not judge another’s journey to better health.  Instead, celebrate with them (us) their desire and hard work for a healthier life. 

For both groups of people – find ways to be an encouragement.  Use kind and uplifting words.  Don’t judge others’ choices.  Be an advocate of seeing ourselves as our God sees us – fearfully and wonderfully made!  Rejoice in the strength the Lord has given you to even take the first step.

To my family and friends:  I could not be more blessed!  The unending love and support that you have shown me throughout this process does not go unnoticed.  Your words of encouragement, hugs, and love make me realize that God does a much better job of selecting my friends than I do!  LOL  (no, really!)  He has placed a remarkable network of people in my life and I am forever grateful.

And a special note to CME.  You continue to bless my every day.  You have been my support line here on earth.  You have encouraged me even when I’ve felt like I wasn’t progressing as I should.  You have helped me see some things in a proper and healthy perspective.  You have helped clothe me…both financially and because your taste in style is much better than mine! LoL  You make me smile and you make me laugh.  Thank you.  I cannot imagine this journey without you in it!  143!

________________________________________________
"I praise you [God] because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well." ~Psalm 139:14

No comments:

Post a Comment