A-Weigh We Go

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

Monday, March 11, 2013

Scales Don't Define Me

I weigh myself a lot less frequently than I did right after surgery.  Today is a good example why.  I gained 2.2# this week!  I’d be lying if I didn’t say that I was a little freaked out and a whole lot of frustrated!  How in the world does a person gain 2.2# this soon after surgery?  I mean, isn’t my body still in the malabsorption stage? The quantity of food I eat is still relatively small.  What on earth did I do to GAIN 2.2# this week?  Then I realized that I couldn’t even go back and look at my food journal to determine where I went amiss…because I haven’t consistently logged my food the last couple of months.  Sure, I’d log here and there...mainly to figure out how much protein I was getting if I thought I was low...but to put every bite of food/drink that went into my mouth into the log?  Nope, didn’t do it.

So this morning, after the scales made me mad (because obviously it was their fault!), I realized that I am still holding on to some old habits.  Habits that I must change.  I do know that weight fluctuates.  I do know that I could weigh tomorrow and “possibly” have lost the same amount of weight (especially considering the numerous trips to the restroom today) – though I’m doubtful of that.  Know what I else I know?  I know that this gain is not a defeat.  I know that I must make the permanent changes to have a permanent result.  This is not the easy way out.  This is work.  This is hard.  

I know that I am not to take this gift from my Creator for granted! Most importantly, I know that the scale does not define me.  God defines me and I am a work in progress.  I am continually growing and learning and embracing my role as His child…as His daughter. Those are the truths that I cling to.  Those are the truths that define me and that pave the way of this journey.

________________________________________________

"I praise you [God] because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well." ~Psalm 139:14

No comments:

Post a Comment