A-Weigh We Go

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Assumptions, Reflections and a B.H.A.G.

As I've mentioned before, the weather around here has been unseasonably warm and spring has definitely filled the town.  My office is in Downtown E'ville with a view of the river (makes our city seem a lot bigger than it really is!).  Some days I just need to get outside the building for a while.  Today was one of those days so I decided to enjoy my lunch hour by sitting near the river.


A small bird caught my attention as it fluttered around in the dirt.  At first I assumed it was hurt.  It didn't look like it had any legs.  Seriously!  I wondered if it had fallen out a tree and somehow managed to make its way to this dirty little spot.  But as I watched it more, I realized it wasn't hurt at all.  It was actually wallowing in the dirt almost playfully...pausing every so often with its wings spread out as if to "mark" it's spot or claim victory over this tiny area.  I am king of the hill!  I have no idea why a bird would roll around in the dirt.  But this tiny little creature made me realize how quickly we are I am to assume I know the situation, when really I don't.  I truly only know my situation.  I can't look at another person and assume that because they are thin that they are healthy or that they've never had a weight problem.  Or because they are fat they are in the same situation as me.  Every one has their own story, their own journey, their own problems, their own successes, and their own little dirt mound to conquer and claim as their own.


I spent the majority of my lunch hour reflecting over some recent events.  About how I've lived in this town my entire life, but have never sat at the river during my lunch.  About the text message I got from my International daughter that said, "More sun, less doctors." (meaning, get outside more!)  I thought a lot about how God is constantly molding me and opening my eyes to His glory in every day things - a place like this to get a way from the hustle and bustle of work for a while; for realizing that I am inside WAY too much and that the warmth of the sun on a warm spring day does wonders for the attitude later.  I thought about the significance of this holy week and how I am amazed that Jesus loves me (us) so much that he endured my punishment on the cross.  I thought about where my life has been, where it is now an how God is continuing to work on me...inside and out...all the time.  It was a great way to spend my lunch.


I've recently read a couple other gastric bypass / weight loss blogs where the authors have made some statement about setting a goal and working toward that.  Although having the gastric bypass surgery is a pretty big goal, I've added another B.H.A.G. (big hairy audacious goal) to the list.  I have decided to participate in the city's Half Marathon in October!  Three contributing factors:  1) I will be walking it with my friend!  Always better to walk with a buddy for encouragement.  2) It's happening in October which seems like a much more sensible time of the year for a marathon.  3) This is a goal that I never ever would dream of doing on my own!  It will take total reliance on God to get me through this.  If you have known me for any length of time at all, you know that any form of exercise is a stretch for me, but to actually walk 13.1 miles?  With bad knees?  This is a God-size goal and with Him, I will cross that finish line and get that participation medal!  Dream big, folks!  Dream big, then act on that dream!
________________________________________________
"I praise you [God] because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well." ~Psalm 139:14

No comments:

Post a Comment