A-Weigh We Go

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

Monday, April 9, 2012

I Have a Date!

CME joined me for my appointment with the surgeon today.  We started in a group meeting - 4 other patients and families - to get a little more information on the surgery itself.  The surgeon was really nice and the presentation did explain a couple more tidbits of information that I didn't know.  But what stood out to me was when he said that they (bariatric center) don't set goal weights for patients.  It's not really about a number, it's about becoming healthier and feeling better.  He mentioned that often-times people set unrealistic goals for themselves which automatically sets them up for failure.  The "goal" of this program is to get significant amounts of weight off and keep it off long-term.  Not hit a target number.  He also mentioned that the yo-yo effect of dieting (which I'm certain every one of us in that room have experienced) is physiologically detrimental.


I then met the surgeon for a little one-on-one (+CME) discussion.  There aren't any real concerns about the surgery for me.  He mentioned that I am young (which made CME chuckle) and should have no problems.  However, with the family history of DVTs, he probably will place me on a blood thinner for the first month after surgery.  I've not had any blood clots, but the fact that both parents and my sister have experienced them puts me at a higher risk to develop them. 


We were then sent to the surgeon's main office to get on his schedule.  It was kind of funny when were in the group meeting, another patient and I were discussing dates.  We were kind of joking with each other that we would race to the surgery center to get the first date.  We are both SO excited for this event. I happened to be the first patient the surgeon saw after the meeting so I was the first out the door to try to get on the books.  Wouldn't you know it...the first available date was the same date that my youngest son will be starring (ha!) in the elementary school choir's spring play at church!  So I took the next available date - Wednesday, May 9, 2012!  I figure that one week for me isn't a big deal - but to my 11-year-old son, it's huge!  Priorities!  I'd be lying if I didn't tell you I was a little disappointed.  I was thinking I'd come home this afternoon and could write that I'd be post-op 2-weeks from now.  But God's timing is perfect...always.  And I am thankful that I now have a date and can continue to prepare for the changes that will occur with this surgery.  I still need to buy a few more samples of protein powders.  I still need to try a couple of the recipes.  I still need to do a little more planning.  A surgery date one month away probably IS better for me after all.  


Oh...and I was down another 5.2 pounds since my last weigh-in/visit at bariatric center.  I made it through Easter without a glitch.  It's amazing what keeping my eyes focused on Jesus really does allow me to do!


Counting down til May 9...
________________________________________________
"I praise you [God] because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well." ~Psalm 139:14

No comments:

Post a Comment