A-Weigh We Go

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

Tuesday, May 29, 2012

I Survived the First "Gathering"

Let me preface this by saying that for me, Memorial Day isn't a day of celebration.  It's a day of remembrance...of reflection.  Freedom isn't free and there are so many who sacrificed their lives for us to have the freedoms that we enjoy on a daily basis.  I am forever grateful.  It is also a day that I remember the One who gave His life for us to have eternal freedom - Jesus Christ.  A sacrifice for each and every one of us, no matter nationality, race, gender.  


All that being said, I did get to spend the majority of the day at my daughter's house.  I kind of invited myself - with the understanding that I'd provide the food.  Hey...whatever works, right?  I took brats and burgers and a few side dishes thanks to the deli at the grocery store.  And I packed my lunch with me. 


Of all the things that were there, the thing I was most tempted by were the Grippo's BBQ Chips.  The open box on the table was calling my name every time I walked by.  Seriously, this thought crossed my mind at least once:  One chip wouldn't hurt.  And then it was like the "omgosh! what on earth are you saying to yourself?!?!" light bulb went off.  If that's not temptation working at its best, I don't know what is.  These are the exact kind of thoughts that have sabotaged my weight loss efforts over the years.  These are the exact kind of thoughts that I must recognize and refuse.  And that's exactly what I did.


This process isn't easy.  But what I realize is that the most difficult part is changing the way I think.  I'm much more aware of portion sizes and the nutritional value of food (have to be right now!), but the little tempting lies about food seem to linger.  Regardless, I do feel victorious (silly as that may seem) about how I handled yesterday.  I successfully survived the first holiday gathering.  Thank you God for helping me hear the lie being whispered into my ear!
________________________________________________
"I praise you [God] because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well." ~Psalm 139:14

No comments:

Post a Comment