A-Weigh We Go

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

Sunday, May 13, 2012

Post-Op Day 3

Yesterday was Post-Op Day 3 and my first full day home.  My day started at 7:30 when I carefully rolled out of bed, being very aware of the incisions.  At 8:00 I took my Prilosec (will be taking for life) and D3 mixed with an ounce of applesauce.  Note to self:  do not try to bite the little bitty Prilosec beads...they are bitter!!!

I decided to take a shower before breakfast.  I thought it might make me feel a bit more normal.  And I decided to put on just a little makeup.  CME doesn't think I need it, but it makes me feel better - like I'm a bit more presentable.  Didn't dry my hair or anything...to be honest, the shower and makeup wore me out.  

Breakfast didn't start until 10:00 - which is something that probably disrupted my whole food/eating schedule - but I had one scrambled egg! (7g protein) Interesting that one little egg seemed overwhelming at first...like it was a LOT of food.  But over the next 45 minutes, I was able to finish it...even if it was a bit cool by then.  

I walked outside a bit...down the driveway a couple of times.  What I'm noticing there is that it increases my heart rate a lot.  Today, I'm hoping to monitor it better.  Take a reading before I walk and then after.  I'm not sure if it's normal or not - but want to make sure I've noted everything that's going on with my body.

Around 12:30, I had 4 oz of light Silk soy milk with a full scoop of chocolate truffle Nectar protein powder (26 g protein total).  It took me almost an hour to get that all down.  It's a huge difference from when I was sampling.  I could down 8 oz in less than 5 minutes.  Regardless, this is by far one of my favorite combinations for protein.  Lots of it in small dose and not grainy or smelly.  :)

I sipped water most of the day, but it truly is difficult to get in all the required water.  I'm going to be more conscious about that today.  Water is essential!  I think my total water intake yesterday was only about 30 ounces.  

I napped a bit and by 3:45 I realized I was already running behind a good eating schedule, so I ate 2oz low-fat cottage cheese (6g protein).  Who would have thought that so little food would take me almost an hour to eat???    When they tell you that you will have a hard time eating such small quantities...they're not kidding.  I felt like I was really pushing myself to get in all I was suppose to.

At 6:30 I had another 4 oz. protein shake, but this time I used the Minute Maid Just 15 Peach Juice and Nectar Fuzzy Navel.  (11g protein) I only used 1/2 packet for the protein and planned on using the other 1/2 later last night. Unfortunately that was the end of any food/protein consumption for the day.

Around 7:30 I had to take my first dose of Lortab elixir.  I was experiencing some internal pain that just wouldn't subside.  I felt the same pain on Friday night, but it went away relatively quickly and I didn't need the meds.    But last night, the pain took my breath away.  I don't know how to explain it exactly, but it was like a constant stabbing feeling in my side.  Though I was hoping to get through this without narcotics, I know that they were prescribed for a reason - to help me heal.  So I took a dose.  The Lortab made me very woozy (and a bit nauseous) so I went to bed without finishing the food I was suppose to have or the rest of my protein shake.

In all honesty, that's about the time I felt defeated.  I don't know what exactly I was expecting, but I didn't expect to be so tired and I didn't expect to have to take pain meds.  I usually haven't needed those after past surgeries.  As I told CME, I just want to excel in this process.  He was so good to remind me that I've not been home very long and that I should be patient.  That I need to heal first and that this is not a race.  I <3 that man!

Today I opened my education manual to see what it said about discharge orders.  Two things stuck out to me:  The postoperative phase of Gastric Bypass can be very demanding of your mental and physical endurance. and Expect your endurance to be low initially, but it will improve.  It made me feel not quite so defeated - but maybe actually on track.  Patience is still something God must need to work in me.  

What I do know is that God is faithful and He has provided me with a fantastic support group.  From CME and my children to my family and wonderful prayer warriors!  I have felt the prayers and know that I am constantly lifted before our Father in Heaven!  Today is a new day with new mercies and possibilities.  
"I praise you [God] because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well." ~Psalm 139:14

No comments:

Post a Comment